[Barrelfish-users] Booting Barrelfish on Lenovo X200 Laptop

Baumann Andrew andrewb at inf.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 5 00:07:55 CEST 2011

From: Raphael Fuchs [mailto:raphaelfuchs at student.ethz.ch]
> So far so good, but I don't get the fish prompt nor can I type in
> something. The cursor (blinking) is sitting somewhere in the middle of
> the screen. My menu.lst looks as following.

You'll probably find that fish is running, and waiting for input on the serial port. If you want it to come out on the console, there are a series of hacks of dubious quality that enable this: You need to comment out the serial module, run the lpc_kbd driver instead, and pass "keyboard" as an explicit command-line argument to fish. Even then, you'll find that the cursor doesn't move (because we don't bother to update it) and that the keymap/console handling is laughably incomplete. Basically, it's just barely enough for a demo where I once started the slideshow program from the console... feel free to improve it if you like, but what we really need is a form of console/tty abstraction layer.

> --
> ACPI: Interrupt!
> Power button pressed, switching off..
> --
>
> however, the machine isn't switching off.

Blame ACPI complexity for this one... it last worked for me on an X301, but obviously hasn't been tested in a long time. Again, not high on the list of priorities :)

Cheers,
Andrew