[Barrelfish-users] Real hardware configurations

Timothy Roscoe troscoe at inf.ethz.ch
Wed Dec 21 13:49:17 CET 2011

Hi Georgios,

We have a variety of machines here at ETHZ - others can comment on how
well they work, but we boot and test Barrelfish on all of them.  The
modern ones include a 48-core Magny-Cours machine, a 32-core Nehalem-EX
machine, some dual-socket Nehalem-EP and AMD Instanbul and Shanghai
machines, etc.

Barrelfish is fairly tolerant to basic PC hardware (and if there is a
problem with ACPI or PCIe, please tell us and we'll help fix it).

Often the deciding factor is the other devices.  Basic Intel e1000 cards
work, and we have an Intel 82599 driver going into the release soon, but
we're lacking drivers for Nvidia and Broadcom Ethernet cards (any
volunteers?).   There's a SATA driver about to go in as well, but it's
only for Intel AHCI controllers, so if you want mass storage you might
want to think about that.

Having a machine that reboots fast is often good, as is an
easy-to-access serial port with a standard 9-way D-connector...

Anyone else want to comment?

  -- Mothy