[Barrelfish-users] New release of Barrelfish

Timothy Roscoe troscoe at inf.ethz.ch
Tue Mar 1 15:25:43 CET 2011

We are (finally!) pleased, and immensely relieved, to announce a new
release of the Barrelfish multikernel operating system.  The release can
be downloaded from http://www.barrelfish.org/

The system has changed considerably since the last public release -
among other things, the communication system has been restructured and
we now support both 64- and 32-bit x86 architectures, the Intel SCC
processor, as well as limited support for both ARM and Beehive cores.

We also expect to do releases much more frequently in the future.  While
this is a tarball release, we hope to put in place anonymous Mercurial
access soon.  We also have a backlog of further changes which should be
released in the next few weeks.

Furthermore, there is now a public Wiki for user-contributed
documentation and information on Barrelfish: http://wiki.barrelfish.org/.

Finally, if you use Barrelfish, we encourage you to ask questions, post
comments, criticisms, suggestions, and, yes, even patches to the
Barrelfish users list.  We are continuing to work on the system, and
expect to release more functionality soon.

Very best wishes, and apologies for the long delay,

  -- The Barrelfish Team.