[Barrelfish-users] [Barrelfish] Intel SCC latency measurements for MPB operations

Timothy Roscoe troscoe at inf.ethz.ch
Tue Mar 1 16:59:52 CET 2011

Konstantin,

I'm not sure what communication stack your graphs are using (whether
this is bare-metal RCCE, RCCE over Linux TCP, etc.).  I'm also assuming
this isn't using Barrelfish (as we've only released SCC support an hour
or two ago).

On Barrelfish we require a trap to kernel mode for inter-core messages,
which in practice dominates the time taken to access the MPB (once
you're in the kernel, we can transfer a cache line to another core's
on-time MPB in a hundred clocks or so as Intel advertise).  Also, due to
queuing issues, Barrelfish's interconnect driver for the SCC passes
message payloads in DDR3, and uses the MPB for the metadata.

  -- Mothy