[Barrelfish-users] Barrelfish vs. Microkernels?

Haas, Werner werner.haas at intel.com
Wed Nov 16 18:16:49 CET 2011

Thank you Simon, your answer indeed enlightened me a bit

For example I completely overlooked that support for distributed memory is the exception rather than the norm with microkernels. I also understand their minimalistic approach is different from Barrelfish's goals but when you look at Drawbridge as a way to run applications you come pretty close to microkernel territory, don't you?

On the other hand, the seL4 capabilities and fast message passing tricked me to believe that the two approaches had more in common than 70% of the letters:-) Recent L4 implementations also came a long way towards hardware neutrality and the user/kernel level task separation doesn't seem too different, either. From a hardware perspective, the design philosophy of the software is actually less important than its required features and it helps having a variety of applications!

Thanks again for the education.

Werner

Intel GmbH
Dornacher Strasse 1
85622 Feldkirchen/Muenchen, Deutschland
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Douglas Lusk, Peter Gleissner, Hannes Schwaderer
Registergericht: Muenchen HRB 47456
Ust.-IdNr./VAT Registration No.: DE129385895
Citibank Frankfurt a.M. (BLZ 502 109 00) 600119052