[Barrelfish-users] cross-domain shared memory

Georgios Varisteas yorgos at kth.se
Thu Apr 5 15:58:53 CEST 2012

Hi,

In BF, each domain has its own virtual memory address space which makes sense as a method of isolation and protection. Thus sending a pointer across domains is useless. However, if I would like to actually share memory across domains (with all implications considered), is there any way to accomplish it (eventually) as simply as messaging a pointer is? I'm not very optimistic since such functionality is vertical to the fundamental principles of BF. If I would like to add it though, could you give me some pointers? I must admit that the whole capability system still confuses me.

Best regards,
Georgios Varisteas