[Barrelfish-users] Booting Barrelfish using TFTP - GRUB issues

Georgios Varisteas yorgos at kth.se
Tue Jun 5 22:52:41 CEST 2012

Hey Shawn,

Actually it is not really a patch. GRUB supports network booting, although it is not part of its default compile configuration. You need to run '# configure --netboot' followed by more arguments that enable support for specific NICs. It is not recommended to just enable them all though. More on this in the README found in the netboot subfolder of the GRUB's tree. Also keep in mind that GRUB legacy is rather old code and wont compile with modern versions of GCC. Version 3.x is recommended but it might work with some early 4.x.

Apart from this you do need a patch to enable support for a 64-bit kernel but it has nothing to do with PXE.

Hope this helps

regards,
Georgios