[Barrelfish-users] Run barrelfish on arm-architecture in Qemu

Kornilios Kourtis kornilios.kourtis at inf.ethz.ch
Wed Jun 6 16:28:23 CEST 2012

Hi Daniel et al.,

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 03:41:42PM +0200, Daniel Röhrig wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> we are four students at the technical university in Berlin working on
> a port of Barrelfish for one of our arm-boards. At least that's what
> we are trying to accomplish. Right now we are stuck at emulating
> Barrelfish in Qemu with the intergratorcp-board. Here is what we got:
>
> http://pastebin.com/Z0FKqDvF
>
> We don't know what to expect but that doesn't seem right. Can you tell
> us what to expect when running Barrelfish for ARM in Qemu, so that we
> know what we do wrong when we do it.

Here's the output of a test we run on qemu for arm:
|  Barrelfish CPU driver starting on ARMv5 Board id 0x00000113
|  The address of paging_map_kernel_section is 0xfff1c2f8
|  XXX: Debug print to make Bram's code work
|  Kernel ready.
|  init: invoked as: init 2097152
|  Spawning memory server (arm/sbin/mem_serv)...
|  Spawning monitor (arm/sbin/monitor)...
|  monitor: invoked as: arm/sbin/monitor 7708672
|  RAM allocator initialised, 207 MB (of 239 MB) available
|  Spawning ramfsd on core 0
|  ramfsd.0: pre-populating from boot image...
|  ramfsd.0: ready
|  Spawning skb on core 0
|  Spawning ./arm/sbin/spawnd on core 0
|  Spawning ./arm/sbin/startd on core 0
|  spawnd.0: coreid 0 is arch id 0
|  all 1 monitors up
|  skb.0: waiting for: all_spawnds_up
|  startd.0: starting app /arm/sbin/memtest on core 0
|  skb.0: waiting for: spawn.0
|  spawnd.0: spawning /arm/sbin/memtest on core 0
|  No bootscript
|  memtest passed successfully! on core 0

One thing that might make sense to try is to use the same environment that we
use for our testing. Specifically:
 - gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.5.2-8ubuntu4) 4.5.2
 - The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 6.12.2
 - QEMU emulator version 0.14.1, Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard

Hope this helps,
Kornilios.

--
Kornilios Kourtis