[Barrelfish-users] help

Sachin Agarwalla sachin.agarwalla at cse.iitkgp.ernet.in
Sat Jun 30 14:15:16 CEST 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thanks for your support.

thanking you,
waiting for your reply,
yours faithfully,
sachinagarwalla

----- Original Message -----
From: "Timothy Roscoe" <troscoe at inf.ethz.ch>
To: "Sachin Agarwalla" <sachin.agarwalla at cse.iitkgp.ernet.in>
Cc: barrelfish-users at lists.inf.ethz.ch
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2012 4:47:24 PM
Subject: Re: [Barrelfish-users] help

Dear Sachin,

The Barrelfish concurrency model is described in our SOSP paper, which
is available from the web site.   Each core runs a distinct small,
non-preemptible, event-driven kernel (called a CPU driver).   A CPU
driver multiplexes the core among user-space "dispatcher" objects (one
per application per core), which are upcalled by the CPU driver when
the application is scheduled on that core.  The dispatcher typically
runs a user-level, core-local, preemptive thread scheduler which, in
the presence of cache-coherent shared memory, can also migrate a
user-level thread between cores.

The short answer to your first question is therefore: "yes".

As for the future, we all wish we knew.  We are continuing to develop
and support (as far as we can) Barrelfish as a vehicle and platform
for OS research.

Hope this helps,

 -- Mothy

to the way K42, Psyche, Nemesis, and Scheduler Activations work).