[Barrelfish-users] Questions about IDC: Poll or Interrupt

Shi Jinghao (史经浩) jhshi at cs.hku.hk
Wed Mar 14 15:13:58 CET 2012

Hi,

I am recently working with IDC in Barrelfish, using the API generated by
Flounder. I found that I need
to use a separate polling thread to poll the waitset, so that my call backs
can get called.

For example, when sending a message:  dummy__msg_tx(binding,
MKCONT(send_cb, NULL), value)

Since the send is asynchronous, I can continue to do other stuff after this
call. However, I expect that
my send_cb will be called (*interrupt*) once the send is success, which is
not the case:  I must manually poll the
binding's waitset using event_dispatch to get send_cb get called.

I now use a separate polling thread to do all this stuff and it works. But
I was wondering:

    - Is it designed as this way? Or I don't actually need to poll, just I
don't know how...

    - If this is the way as designed, then why? This seems not that
"event-driven", right?

Thanks for your reading and forgive me if I asked a stupid question.

Regards,
Jinghao