[Barrelfish-users] Porting Barrelfish to a new architecture?

Matt Johnson johnso87 at crhc.illinois.edu
Thu Mar 15 06:45:26 CET 2012

Thanks Andrew and Tim!  That's very helpful.  A couple more questions below.
-Matt

On 03/14/2012 05:06 PM, Baumann Andrew wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> I've just been skimming over the Rigel and Cohesion papers -- interesting stuff!
Thanks!  And thanks for the pointer to the HotOS paper; my groupmates
and I often make analogous arguments about different layers of the stack
(architecture and software, architecture and compiler, memory model and
programming model), so it's good to know there are kindred spirits out
there who also think researchers should do twice as much work!

> To answer your questions:
>
>> * What primitives does Barrelfish *require* of the underlying CPU
>> (atomic instructions,
>>     interrupts, MMU features, etc.)?
> We don't require atomic instructions.
I'm guessing Barrelfish still needs some kind of synchronization
primitive (e.g., to construct a lock), right?  Some memory consistency
models allow you to build some kind of synchronization primitives with
normal loads and stores -- are you saying that whatever you can build
under the x86 and ARM consistency models is sufficient?  Do you need any
kind of memory barriers?  For what it's worth, I've found Concurrency
Kit's platform independence layer to provide a great language for
talking about exactly what a platform provides and what a piece of
software requires when it comes to these kinds of things.
Unfortunately, the doc page doesn't tell you what the acronyms stand
for, and the implementation files are too laden with preprocessor
metaprogramming to be easily parsed :(
http://concurrencykit.org/doc/appendixA.html
http://concurrencykit.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/ck/tree/include/gcc/x86_64/ck_pr.h .
> We do require some form of interrupts, for pre-emptive multitasking.
What sources of interrupt must an architecture support?  Timer?
Off-chip?  Another core on the same chip?  Some combination?
>   We have run on a processor (Beehive) that lacked protection or address translation, but it was quite painful in many respects -- if you had some form of translation
What is required here?  The ability to create many totally disjoint
address spaces?  The ability to share pages arbitrarily between address
spaces as in traditional virtual memory?

> and a protected kernel mode
We don't have one yet either, but probably should.  Out of curiosity,
what did you do about this on Beehive (at a high level; I understand the
memory is probably too painful to relive fully :)
> , it would make a port much easier.
>
>> * What additional primitives, if any, are desirable for existing versions of
>>     Barrelfish to run well?
> Efficient inter-core messaging would be great! (more on this below)
>
>> * What further primitives would Barrelfish developers like to see on
>> future hardware
>>    platforms?
> Message-passing is the big one. We sketched out some ideas in this HotOS paper:
> http://www.barrelfish.org/gap_hotos11.pdf
>
> Essentially we'd like a remote write operation that pushes some data close to a remote core, and an asynchronous notification that causes a lightweight exception/control transfer on the target. Previous versions of hardware-supported message passing have provided some version of the former, but neglected the latter.
I agree, that sounds extremely useful; implicit message passing by
piggy-backing on the coherence hardware isn't a great solution.  The
closest thing we have is a broadcast update instruction that broadcasts
a cache line from the L2 cache of one cluster of cores into the L2
caches of all other cores.  We only needed broadcast when we initially
designed the architecture because we were focused on a task-based
programming model where arbitrary point-to-point communication simply
doesn't occur.  For being able to run more general classes of program,
this generalization seems very useful.  Being able to pass an IPI along
with the data seems to give a similarly large benefit.  For the use
cases you have in mind, is it important that the interrupt be serviced
immediately, or would it be sufficient to wait until the target thread
finishes what it's doing and does the moral equivalent of calling
yield()?  If these IPIs are frequent, having the servicing be
cooperative rather than preemptive may buy you efficiency by not having
to spill the thread context to memory (maybe when the target yield()s,
everything in its context is known to be dead).
>> * How would one go about porting Barrelfish to another architecture?
>>     - Is CPU support code segregated into one part of the Barrelfish
>> source tree?
>>       If not, what general patterns should I grep for?
>>       I see things like .dev files for amd64 and arm, but don't know what
>> else is required.
> Our tree is not as cleanly structured as it should be, but in general architecture-specific code lives in a directory named 'arch', e.g. kernel/arch/x86_64, lib/barrelfish/arch/x86_64, etc. Aside from this, the main things you would need are suitable drivers, and the backends for message-passing.
>
>> * This is likely a dumb question, but does my architecture need ghc
>> codegen support
>>     to run Barrelfish?
> No. GHC is used to build the tools, not the OS or apps.
That's what I figured, just thought I'd check :)
>   We definitely compile with GCC, and have at various times compiled with LLVM and ICC (so it shouldn't be hard to get these working if needed).
>
>> * At a high level, is this worth doing?  There are two parts to that:
>>     - If the port is successful, is there any hope of upstreaming the
>> changes so
>>       they can keep pace with upstream API changes?  (Remembering that
>> the platform
>>       in question consists of a simulator, and possibly an FPGA in the
>> foreseeable future)
> I can't give you a definitive answer (Mothy is perhaps better placed to do so), but there have been outside contributions to the tree. I think the main issue is one of maintenance bandwidth -- whether there are folks around who care about the port and are using/maintaining it. We recently removed the Beehive port from the tree, because it was unused, and we didn't have the cycles to keep it from bit-rotting.
That's understandable; we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, but
it's helpful to know that you're open to the idea in the abstract.

>>     - If not, is the upstream API or organization likely to change in
>> such a way that the
>>       port will quickly become non-functional?
> Well, it's a research project... and there is plenty of churn in the tree. Obviously with more ports and a better separation between architecture/platform-specific code this would be less of an issue, but we're not really at that state yet.
Also understandable; all the more reason to make the support commitment
so that the port can be upstreamed.