[Barrelfish-users] mercurial tree update

Kornilios Kourtis kornilios.kourtis at inf.ethz.ch
Fri May 25 17:01:05 CEST 2012

Hi all,

We are pleased to announce that we pushed updates (around 400 changesets)
to the public tree. As usual, you can use hg.barrelfish.org to either
download the code as a tarball or update your mercurial repository.

This release was delayed more than we anticipated because we wanted to
get SCC booting again. The good news is that not only SCC boots again,
but the booting process is now much faster (see b2f2b28eb1ac for more
details).

The largest part of the changes is work done by Gerd Zellweger for his
master thesis entitled: "Unifying Synchronization and Events in a
Multicore Operating System", which you can find on the barrelfish
webpage.
Changes include:
 . Addition of the Octopus coordination service (a key-value storage
   combined with a publish-subscribe system)
 . Splitting of PCI into two services: PCI and ACPI
 . Addition of a device manager (Kaluga) to start device drivers
 . Removal of Chips (replaced by Octopus/SKB)

Other than that, changes also include several updates (fixes, performance
improvements, etc) in networking, USB and other places.

Please note that If you update your repository from a previous version,
you might encounter the following error when you call 'hg update':
| abort: path 'include/openssl/aes.h' traverses symbolic link 'include/openssl'
The error is caused by a symlink removal from the source tree. One way to
overcome it is to use the --clean option for 'hg update'.  WARNING: this
option will discard uncommitted changes. If you have uncommitted changes
you need to save them somehow (e.g., in a patch file, or by committing
them). Taking a backup before trying anything is always a good idea in
these cases.

For the Barrelfish team,
Kornilios.

--