[Barrelfish-users] ARM support in barrelfish

Zeus Gómez Marmolejo zeus.gomez at bsc.es
Fri Nov 9 16:28:16 CET 2012

Hi Kornilios,

Here at ARM we have been working with the ARMv7 and the Gem5 simulator, but
we have found many problems. First, the Mercurial tip is not booting in
Gem5. There is currently a mixture between the pandaboard work done (that
is working on physical memory 0x80000000) and the Gem5 model (starting at
0).

The last version that works on Gem5 is the latest revision from Samuel Hitz
branch (revision 1081). But note that has to be compiled with a GCC version
up or prior to 4.6.1 due to the inline bug of GCC, as Barrelfish code seems
to have the 4.6.1 version harcoded in some headers (search for 'inline bug'
in Barrelfish code). As far as I know, gcc 4.6.3 is affected by this bug
too and is generating incorrect binaries, so this workaround should also
include that version too.

We agreed with Matt to have a Gem5 model of the pandaboard to unify
platforms. First because it would be useful for you as tests could be run
both on Gem5 and pandaboard without any change, and second because the
current Gem5 board that is being used is the Versatile Express ELT, which
has been removed from recent versions of Gem5.

We are not working on this right now, but that would be something worth
fixing if you plan to improve ARM support for Barrelfish.

Thanks,
zeus.

2012/11/9 Kornilios Kourtis <kornilios.kourtis at inf.ethz.ch>

> Hi all,
>
> Although barrelfish ARM support has improved with the addition of new
> architectures (ARMv7) and platforms (arm_gem5, pandaboard), the code is
> not in the best possible state (to put it mildly :-). We are currently
> thinking about what ARM support barrelfish should provide, how to clean
> up the code, and how to make it easier for people with ARM hardware to
> use and extend barrelfish.
>
> We are aware --mostly via messages on the list-- of several projects that
> use barrelfish on ARM, but we would like to get a more comprehensive view
> of what people are doing (or plan to do), so that we can make more
> informed decisions, and possibly collaborate on improving ARM support in
> barrelfish. So, if you are using barrelfish on an ARM architecture please
> let us know what hardware you are using, what are your plans, etc.
> Needless to say, any help on improving ARM support would be more than
> welcome.
>
> cheers,
> Kornilios.
>
> --