[Barrelfish-users] How to deal with file I/O on SCC

Shi Jinghao jhshi at cs.hku.hk
Tue Nov 27 08:29:16 CET 2012

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your reply! I've followed your first suggestion and it works!
Didn't try the NFS way though. And the command line tweaking is just not
elegant.

For those who may also concern. let me elaborate a little bit. To access a
file named "test.dat" in my program, I did the following.

1) Create a cpio archive named test_ramfs.cpio. The name is arbitrary but
must ends with _ramfs.cpio

$ find test.dat -print | cpio -o > test_ramfs.cpio

2) gzip it

$ gzip test_ramfs.cpio

3) Put the file generated in last step ("test_ramfs.cpio.gz") into /build
directory, and then add this line in menu.lst.scc

module /test_ramfs.cpio.gz

4) Add this line in app's Hakefile to link to libvfs

addLibraries = libDeps [ "vfs", "OTHER LIBS" ],

5) In app code, call vfs_init and then open the file. Its path is
"/test.dat"

FILE* input = fopen("/test.dat", "r");

Thanks,
Jinghao