[Barrelfish-users] Running ARM Barrelfish on Gem5

Zeus Gómez Marmolejo zeus.gomez at bsc.es
Wed Oct 3 16:26:30 CEST 2012

Hi all,

The mailing list has been very quiet lately. I hope everything is running
fine :)

I was trying Barrelfish on the arm_gem5 target, but I got stuck on
different errors. I'm using the latest public release.

First, I tried to follow the instructions here:
http://wiki.barrelfish.org/Running_on_gem5

But the 'gem5_patches.patch' file doesn't exist and the 'arm_gem5' and
'arm_gem5_mc' makefile targets are not present. I guess these instructions
may refer to a newer version that is not present on the public Barrelfish
tree.

In any case, there is a README file in the tools/arm_gem5 folder that also
tell how to build it (the gem5 directory in the instructions has to be
changed to the actual arm_gem5). Finally it boots with the following error:

==== m5 slave terminal: Terminal 0 ====
Barrelfish CPU driver starting on ARMv7 Board id 0x000008e0
The address of paging_map_kernel_section is 0xc0022d20
kernel PANIC! kernel assertion "limit > start" failed at
../../bf/kernel/arch/arm/phys_mmap.c:130

I would like to know if this target is currently supported. I guess there
was a revision in the past that was working. I wonder which one it is...

On the other hand, the mercurial tip of the Gem5 simulator doesn't have the
VExpress_ELT platform any more, but has been substituted by the
VExpress_EMM. So it would be worth updating the port.

Best regards,

--
Zeus Gómez Marmolejo
Barcelona Supercomputing Center