[Barrelfish-users] How to use fopen on a span-ed dispatcher on Barrelfish

Chothia Zaheer zchothia at student.ethz.ch
Thu Apr 25 12:42:19 CEST 2013

[+barrelfish-users]

Hi Guo,

I can reproduce the issue you describe although I don't understand the
underlying problem.  Adding the list in case someone else can comment.

The step which fails is opening a file on the remote core.  Full error message:
  ERROR: autorun1.1 in resolve_path() ../lib/vfs/vfs_ramfs.c:81
  ERROR: transport error in lookup
  Failure: (         kernel) Capability not found (empty slot encountered) [SYS_ERR_CAP_NOT_FOUND]

I also tried opening on the main thread, then reading from the remote core
which also fails:
  ERROR: autorun1.1 in read_bulk() ../lib/vfs/vfs_ramfs.c:342
  ERROR: transport error in read
  nRRFaORi:l uraeut:o r( u n 1. 1    i n  vkfersnfed_lr) eSald(o)t  s.p./elciifbi/evfds f/ovrfs _LfRPdC. c:d1oe0s0
   oEt RcROoRn:ta ienrr oanr  einn dvpofisn_rte caadp
   [SYS_ERR_LRPC_NOT_ENDPOINT]
  Failure: (         kernel) Slot specified for LRPC does not contain an endpoint cap [SYS_ERR_LRPC_NOT_ENDPOINT]

As a workaround you may be able to register a stub which shuttles requests to
and back from core 0 for processing (using newlib_register_fsops__).

Best,

--Zaheer