[Barrelfish-users] How to use fopen on a span-ed dispatcher on Barrelfish

Andrew Baumann Andrew.Baumann at microsoft.com
Fri Apr 26 01:49:24 CEST 2013

Hi all,

Unless something has changed recently, VFS operations do not work on secondary dispatchers of spanned domains. In fact, the only thing I know that does work reliably on a spanned domain is thread synchronisation primitives. Spanned domains were put together as something of a hack to enable us to run shared-memory benchmarks, but they weren't widely used beyond this and more work is needed to make other parts of the system work with them. Some of the problems are simply lazy code (e.g. assuming that a global variable is local to a dispatcher), but there are harder structural issues to be resolved, including managing capabilities, and abstracting over inherently core-local structures such as waitsets.

As workarounds, I would suggest either avoiding the spanned domain (e.g. if you want to use shared memory, create several dispatchers and then send caps between them to map a shared region), or doing what Zaheer suggested.

Andrew