[Barrelfish-users] How to Run Barrelfish on real hardware!!

Kornilios Kourtis kornilios.kourtis at inf.ethz.ch
Tue Jul 30 17:21:31 CEST 2013

Hi Jiban,

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 12:11:39AM -0700, jiban sarma wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We have been experimenting with the Barrelfish OS for last couple of days. In
> our first attempt we were able to run barrelfish on QEMU. We can see the fish
> shell and also can execute few commands after the boot. But as QEMU uses only
> one physical core, in our second phase of experiment we decided to run
> barrelfish on real hardware. So we have installed virtual box and create a vm
> using Ubuntu 10.04. We also created the barrelfish binaries using ($ make
> install INSTALL_PREFIX=/boot/barrelfish). Upto this point everything seems to
> be fine. Now the problem is that Ubuntu uses GRUB2 as default bootloader, and
> we are facing problem  to configure the GRUB so that we can load the barrelfish
> kernel and run it on the real hardware.
>
> Is anyone already have configured barrelfish and boot it through GRUB2
> bootloader ? Can you please give me few suggestions how to go ahead and boot
> barreflsih through GRUB.

In our setup, we boot barrelfish over PXE/TFTP. Are planning to use
Ubuntu as the PXE/TFTP server or are you trying to boot Barrelfish in
Virtualbox? If you are trying to do the latter, Georgios Varisteas from
KTH has kindly documented the whole procedure. See for example:
http://amdct.sics.se/bdp/Boot_under_VirtualBox

As far as GRUB2 is concerned, I'm not aware of somebody using it for
barrelfish, but I can't think of any potential problems.

Hope this helps,
Kornilios.

--
Kornilios Kourtis