[Barrelfish-users] starting scc core

Simon Peter speter at inf.ethz.ch
Sun May 26 22:48:34 CEST 2013

> A little question, Using the function rck_start_core() in
> kernel/arch/scc/rck.c that we can only spawn and boot a new core "only
> from core 0", but can we start a new core LATER assuming there are
> already so many cores up and running assuming I didn't start all cores
> at the beginning, can we start a separate core later without reboot the
> whole thing and add it to a current domain or even acts as a separate
> domain as I don't see any implementation of that or I can't get it from
> the code, is there any body can answer that?

There is nothing that hinders you from doing it, but it simply hasn't
been implemented yet.

> Secondly, I can see that we can suspend dispatcher and resume it later,
> but is it possible to migrate a dispatcher to some other core and then
> resume it from there on some other cores belongs to the domain or on a
> new core will be added later to this domain?

Dispatchers cannot be migrated among cores. Perhaps you're looking at
the wrong abstraction? Dispatchers are meant to be tied to the core they
have been created on. If you'd like to migrate a thread, you create a
new dispatcher within the same domain on the core you'd like to migrate
to and then migrate the thread among dispatchers.

Hope this helps,
Simon