[Barrelfish-users] Limitation about file-system size or number of programs in menu.lst?

Albert Heinle aheinle at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Nov 14 17:52:03 CET 2013

Hello Barrelfish-Team,

I am right now working at a project at my university, and I was writing
code to handle a bunch of files (gutenberg project books).

I included the books as described here:
https://lists.inf.ethz.ch/pipermail/barrelfish-users/2012-November/000842.html
A creation of several cpio files was needed. There seems to be a size
limitation on those guys. But no problem, I just split them and add them
seperately. In total, those files are about 80MB.

Now I have my program that searches through those files. It is designed
so that several instances of it can be started, and all are searching in
parallel through the files. If I add now more than 3 instances in
menu.lst, Barrelfish ends up being in an infinite loop at startup, which
always restarts after the last chunk of gutenberg files. I assume that
there is some limitation on the size there, but also adding more RAM and
increasing the disk size in the symbolic_targets.mk does not help.

Does anyone has an idea about a possible solution?

Thank you in advance,

Albert Heinle