[Barrelfish-users] How to Patch grub-0.97 to load 64 bit Barrelfish image!!

jiban sarma jj_sep at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 27 11:11:07 CET 2013

Hi  All,

I have been working on configuring barrelfish for PXE/TFTP booting.  I am facing the following issues during the configuration of the set up.
I mainly faced issues building GRUB-0.97 code from source to support network booting and to load 64-bit ELF image. I am using Ubuntu 10.04 system where i tried to compile the  GRUB-0.97 code with gcc-4.4.3 compiler. But GRUB code can be compiled with the gcc-3.x or some lower version of gcc-4.x . So, I tried installing gcc-3.3 but it was extremely difficult to install and build gcc from source on ubuntu-10.04, as most of the packages, dependencies required to build gcc 3.3 are not available. So to build grub-0.97 with gcc-4 compiler i got a patch (http://wiki.tudos.org/Building_patched_grub) so i patched the grub code and it got compile successfully with gcc-4.4.3 compiler. I put the pxegrub in my pxe server and it worked fine as expected. I can see the barrelfish grub menu and also can type commands from grub prompt. Boot process has started well but finally halted with this error message  " unrelocated kernel address". I think it happens because
 GRUB can't load 64 bit Image. Please correct me if I am wrong.

So I decided to patch the GRUB-code again to load 64 bit image (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?17963). The patched run successfully. But when i copied the "pxegrub" in my server it exactly stopped with the same error message " unrelocated kernel address". So I come to a conclusion that since i already patched the GRUB to build with gcc-4 compiler because of that the second patch to load 64 bit image might not work.

How can I build grub-0.97 from source on ubuntu 10.04 and patch it to support both for network and to load 64 bit ELF image? Is there any "pxegrub" binary available that I can use quickly to complete my setup?  I am using broadcom ethernet card which supports gt3 driver.

Thanks,
Jiban