[Barrelfish-users] Booting Barrelfish on HP DL980G7 server!!

Simon Gerber simon.gerber at inf.ethz.ch
Wed Apr 30 13:35:13 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 28.04.2014 09:07, jiban sarma wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As we are experimenting with the Barrelfish operating system we tried to
> boot Barrelfish on a high end HP server
> DL980G7(http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/proliant-servers/product-detail.html?oid=4231377#!tab=specs
> ) to check how it behaves.  We are using the same PXE/TFTP  server to
> boot Barrellfish on different client machines including  the DL980G7.
> The machines that we have used before were able to load the kernel
> though we have got several exceptions during booting. But while booting
> on DL980G7 machine we have seen that its not able to load the kernel
> instead it directly falls in the GRUB prompt.

Do you get any  error or output or does it just fail silently?

> I tried to pass the kernel
> parameters from the GRUB prompt, but its not taking that option, instead
> the machine halted at that point.
> Have you encountered  similar situations/exception?

I have never seen this unless the grub configuration was
wrong/incomplete. I can't think of a reason why you shouldn't at least
see the first couple lines of Barrelfish output even if the platform
isn't supported.

As for known-to-work hardware: we regularly run Barrelfish on Intel Xeon
e5-2670 v2 and Intel Xeon E3-1245 v3 CPUs installed on Intel S2600GZ and
S1200RP mainboards. There are a few known issues with systems that have
large amounts of physical memory installed (you can try the attached
patch as a band-aid for that issue for now).

Best,
-- Simon