[Barrelfish-users] Registering a Specific IRQ on x86

Andrew Baumann Andrew.Baumann at microsoft.com
Tue Aug 5 18:15:50 CEST 2014

Hi all,

I just noticed this thread... I have two quick comments.

The x86 interrupts interface was designed with the assumption that only the legacy PIC/ISA interrupts (IRQ <= 15) would need to be registered explicitly; everything else should be routable via IOAPICs etc. and ACPI configuration, and discovered via PCI enumeration. So, as Kornilios suggests, if you have a real use-case for handling a specific CPU interrupt vector, that will need changes to the monitor interface.

However, what you want to do won't work (I think). The kernel uses the local APIC timer for its own purposes (scheduling and timeouts), so you won't be able to handle that from user-space, even if you hack the monitor to register a handler for it. I suggest you rethink what you're trying to do... if you just need a source of time, look at the deferred events mechanism which is the architecture-independent way of getting at a local timer.

Cheers,
Andrew