[Barrelfish-users] Dual boot Barrelfish with Ubuntu

Vinay Kumar ms.vinay.k at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 19:30:32 CEST 2015

Hi,

I am trying to Dual boot Barrelfish alongside Ubuntu,
Below are the steps I tried and ultimately there is an issue when grub
tries to boot Barrelfish

1- I installed Ubunt14.04 on a virtual machine, creating 2 partition, one
for ubuntu(/dev/sda1) and the other for Barrelfish(/dev/sda5)
2- I purged removed grub2 that came preinstalled with ubuntu14, and
installed legacy grub 0.97 from the repository and set it up as the default
grub for the OSes
3- Installed the Barrelfish binaries onto the second partition /dev/sda5.
Also I copied the grub files in to this partition and replaced the menu.lst
file with barrelfish's menu.lst file
4- In the main menu.lst file under /boot/grub/menu.lst I added a new entry
for Barrelfish and rerun grub
5- upon reboot the grub menu lists Barrelfish as an new os for booting(pls
refer pic below)
[image: Inline image 1]

6- However When I select Barrelfish in this list, it tries to boot the
barrelfish binaries from the disk, but gives an error as Invalid or
unsupported executable format
[image: Inline image 2]

Please let me know why barrelfish fails to boot here. What is the exact
format of the binaries?

Please let me know if need more info
Thanks in advance
Vinay