[Barrelfish-users] About CPU performance

tomsun.0.7 tomsun.0.7 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 06:46:23 CET 2015

Hi,

I started a network application who is dedicated to produce packets all the
time. However, when I started it on bare-metal, I found the throughput is
only a half of running in QEMU (of course, with KVM enabled).

This application is only CPU-intensive, it just produces a lot of packets
and then destroys them. So it's none of the devices' business. At first, I
think it results from the low frequency of cores, so I measured this by two
ways: 1. invoking native Barrelfish interface, sys_debug_get_tsc_per_ms,
directly; 2. reading tsc and sleeping for 1 second using POSIX sleep (which
is implemented by invoking Barrelfish's usleep as I know). However, I got
the full-speed results under both conditions.

So, I don't know whether it results from incorrect measure of frequency or
some other CPU problems because I even tried to start it with PXE in QEMU,
and got full performance.

What can I do to get normal performance on bare-metal? Or, if it results
from low frequency of CPUs, what can I do to tune up the frequency?

Tom