[Barrelfish-users] Scheduling on Xeon-phi

Reto Achermann reto.achermann at inf.ethz.ch
Thu Jun 18 17:53:38 CEST 2015

Hi Pradeep,

Currently, the scheduling case is pretty much left to the application
and hence it's up to the user to offload certain parts.

We support two cases:
  1) the application spawns new domains on the Xeon Phi. One can
explicitly specify on which card the new domain should get spawned.
  2) using OpenMP to run on the Xeon Phi and the host. See libxomp

There are several functions to figure out about the state of the Xeon
Phis present in the system.
see include/xeon_phi/* for the available functions.

Example programs which use the Xeon Phi functionality can be seen in
tests/xeon_phi_tests which do dma / message passing and name services
or tests/xomp_test which is a test application for OpenMP.

Our SKB does only run on X86_64 at the moment. The Xeon Phi uses skb_simple.

A system description can be found in [1] and [2]

Regards,
  -- Reto

[1] http://www.barrelfish.org/ma-acreto-transport-heterogeneous-mp.pdf
[2] http://wiki.barrelfish.org/Running_on_Xeon_Phi

On 18/06/15 13:12, Pradeep Kiruvale wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am just trying to understand about how the scheduling happens in case
> of Xeon-phi.
> Supposedly say there is program running and when it comes across a code
> path which
> can be offloaded to the Xeon-Phi card. If there are multiple such cards
> to which this will
> be get offloaded?
>
> Second thing is is SKB is used to do the scheduling on Xeon-Phi as well?
>
> Please let me know where I can find the documents for scheduling on Xeon
> phi.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Pradeep

Reto Achermann,