[Equal] Hilfe gesucht!

Sonja Buchegger sonja.buchegger at epfl.ch
Wed Jun 30 17:28:53 CEST 2004

hallo equals,

ich lese gerade "women don't ask", von Linda Babcock und Sara Laschever,
und finde es sehr aufschlussreich und ermutigend!

lg,
sonja

hier die beschreibung von amazon:

Book Description

When Linda Babcock asked why so many male graduate students were
teaching their own courses and most female students were assigned as
assistants, her dean said: "More men ask. The women just don't ask." It
turns out that whether they want higher salaries or more help at home,
women often find it hard to ask. Sometimes they don't know that change
is possible--they don't know that they can ask. Sometimes they fear that
asking may damage a relationship. And sometimes they don't ask because
they've learned that society can react badly to women asserting their
own needs and desires.

By looking at the barriers holding women back and the social forces
constraining them, Women Don't Ask shows women how to reframe their
interactions and more accurately evaluate their opportunities. It
teaches them how to ask for what they want in ways that feel comfortable
and possible, taking into account the impact of asking on their
relationships. And it teaches all of us how to recognize the ways in
which our institutions, child-rearing practices, and unspoken
assumptions perpetuate inequalities--inequalities that are not only
fundamentally unfair but also inefficient and economically unsound.

With women's progress toward full economic and social equality stalled,
women's lives becoming increasingly complex, and the structures of
businesses changing, the ability to negotiate is no longer a luxury but
a necessity. Drawing on research in psychology, sociology, economics,
and organizational behavior as well as dozens of interviews with men and
women from all walks of life, Women Don't Ask is the first book to
identify the dramatic difference between men and women in their
propensity to negotiate for what they want. It tells women how to ask,
and why they should.