[Equal] 4. Europ. Conf. on Gender Equality in Higher Education

Katharina von Salis vonsalis at dplanet.ch
Wed Sep 1 13:44:51 CEST 2004

liebe equals,
unten die Koordinaten/Infos betreffend die naechste Europ. Konf. on
GE in HE in Oxford - in genau einem Jahr.  Die entsprechende Website
sollte in diesem Monat aufgeschaltet werden, die Daten kann man aber
ruhig schon jetzt in die Agenda eintragen...:-)
Have a nice fall
kvs
**********************

equal at lists.inf.ethz.ch
Fourth European Conference on Gender Equality in Higher Education
Oxford Brookes University, 31st August - 3rd September, 2005

Initial Announcement

Dear Colleague

We are delighted to confirm that the Fourth European Conference on
Gender Equality in Higher Education will take place in 2005 in the
United Kingdom at Oxford Brookes University. The conference is being
organised by a partnership involving Oxford Brookes University, the
Equality Challenge Unit, the European Network of Gender Equality in
Higher Education, Oxford University and Cambridge University. It will
open on the afternoon of Wednesday 31 August and close at lunch- time
on Saturday 3 September. We plan to organise a walking tour of
historic Oxford on the Saturday afternoon.

There are three main themes running through the conference. These are:

1. Understanding gender and 'performance'.

  We are interested in work that explores ways in which men and women
behave or perform differently (or similarly ) and the ways in which
women are judged differently (generally more critically) than men.
This could include any aspect of the student experience (for example
access, learning and teaching, curriculum development, the PhD
process) or any aspect of employment (for example recruitment and
promotion, different academic tasks and the way they are valued,
leadership, peer review).

2. Achieving gender equality in higher education: evaluating methods.

  We are interested in hearing about any methods that have been tried
to give greater value to women's work (or draw attention to the
advantages that men enjoy) and to achieve gender equality in terms of
academic and employment outcomes. We would also like to see an
evaluation of the success (or not) of these methods.

3. Academics and practitioners working together.

  We would like to make a particular effort to bring together the work
of academics and practitioners. This could be achieved through the
submission of evidence-based practitioner work, or academic papers
that reflect on the practical implications of their findings. We
especially encourage papers written jointly by academics and
practitioners.

If you think you will be interested in submitting some of your work
to the conference, this can take three different forms:

Full Paper: This will involve a presentation of about 20 minutes
followed by discussion. You will be asked to submit a 300 word
abstract for this.

Demonstration/workshop: This should be participative. You will be
asked to submit a 300 word synopsis of your aims/objectives, content,
material and approach.

Poster: There will be dedicated time within the conference to look at
posters. You will be asked to submit a 200 word summary of the main
content you plan to display in your poster.

This conference is aimed at academics, practitioners and research
students. We are particularly interested in encouraging researchers
who are just starting out in their research careers to participate in
the conference. We want to create a supportive environment where
everyone learns from each other.

We will be putting out a formal call for papers backed up with a
dedicated conference website in the summer of 2004. We will contact
you again when this is ready.

This announcement is written on behalf of the Conference Coordinating
Committee. If you would like any further information about the
conference, or you would like to put any ideas to us, please contact
any of us directly. We are:

Liz Doherty, Oxford Brookes University: ejdoherty at brookes.ac.uk
Judith Finch, Oxford University: judith.finch at admin.ox.ac.uk
Irene Hill, Oxford Brookes University: ihill at brookes.ac.uk
Joyce Hill, Equality Challenge Unit: joyce.hill at ECU.ac.uk
Felicity Hunt, Cambridge University: mfh3 at admin.cam.ac.uk
Liisa Husu: liisa.husu at helsinki.fi
Simonetta Manfredi, Oxford Brookes University: smanfredi at brookes.ac.uk
Rebecca Nestor, Oxford University: Rebecca.nestor at learning.ox.ac.uk