[Equal] Uncovering Hidden Biases in Optics

Keller Seitz Monika (Prs) monika.keller at sl.ethz.ch
Tue May 8 15:41:43 CEST 2012

Something for the coffee break or other reading occasions!.... (Thanx Anna for the hint!)

Uncovering Hidden Biases in Optics
A column by Elsa Garmire, Sydney E Junkins 1887, Professor of Engineering at Dartmouth College in Dartmouth, N.H:, USA in the OPN Journal in May 2012. Elsa Garmire was Optical Society of America's president in 1993

Professor Elsa Garmire poses the question  "How can you fight what you cannot see, even within yourself?  She argues that "Hidden biases can be more damaging to minority scientists and engineers than over bias - which is more easily identified and therefore discounted."

She gives examples of hidden biases alongside techniques on how to counter them as scientific professionals. For example "I have noticed hidden biases in myself when I write letters of recommendation. Unless I fight it, I unwittingly describe my female students in a different way from the males. I tend to write more about how "nice" the female student it and less about her competence..."

Read the whole article at http://www.osa-opn.org/Content/Departments/reflections-diversity.aspx

Monika Keller

PS: Please note my office days: Mo, Tue (whole day) and Thu-morning

ETH Zurich
Dr Monika Keller Seitz  (monika.keller at sl.ethz.ch<mailto:monika.keller at sl.ethz.ch>)
Office of Equal Opportunities for Women and Men
WES B13
Weinbergstrasse 41
CH - 8092 Zürich
Switzerland