[Oberon] User friendly

mcintosh at vima.austin.tx.us mcintosh at vima.austin.tx.us
Mon Jul 15 17:57:10 CEST 2002

Douglas G. Danforth wrote:

| I would be interesting in hearing from anyone willing to contribute to
| discuss the needed support and documentation.  I would assume that
| BlueBottle (which I have not yet seen) would be the basic system.

In '96-'98 looked at the V4 system as a multi-platform, e.g., mac,
sparc, ... system that could be booted from 1 CD-ROM and be a
publishing medium.  My thought was to make a CD-ROM that was self
contained for dissertation production and dissertation viewing in
decades hence. There are surely threads of this in c.l.o that can be
found with google.

V4 would give:

1.  Document editor
2.  eMail capability
3.  rudimentary web browsing
4.  complete sources
5.  hypertext system (non-html)
6.  document portability, both across architectures and through time
7.  a freely distributable system

A basic CD image in ISO-9660 format existed for the "on top of
windows" version.  This image was segregated into the CD ROM
extension directory, and the unaltered system as distributed from
Linz of Oct., 1999.  All the files for this image are available on
http://www.jump.net/~vima/Oberon_60  I envisioned that this would
become a "first track" that contained a common basis for paperless
publishing, and could be mass produced onto writeable CDs, much like
the Kodak photo CDs contain the basic viewer in a cheap, mass
produced first track, and user photos in the add-on track.