: [Oberon] User friendly & COM:4

cglur at onwe.co.za cglur at onwe.co.za
Mon Jul 15 21:59:20 CEST 2002

Douglas G. Danforth wrote:
> I have a goal and that is to take a form of Oberon (currently Native)
> and strip it to a "bullet proofed" form that runs on a subset
> of PCs so that those who want a reliable small system that gives them
> the basic functionality can have one and not worry about the details.
>
> A subset of PC configurations is necessary since servicing
> all possbile combinations of hardware is not possible (at least not by
> me or a small group of people).  A basic set of: document editor,
> email, and web access is all one really needs.  The rest of the machine
> should be available for your specific applications over which you have
> control.
>
> I would be interesting in hearing from anyone willing to contribute to
> discuss the needed support and documentation.
In what way does n-o V2.3.6 not meet your requirements ?

 -----------------
Charles.Angelich wrote:
> Right now the `native' version only supports COM1 and COM2.  The
> Alpha support all four commports but the use of a single large FAT
> file for the install of Alpha was never finished. :-\

I just looked at Alpha : V24.Mod which doesn't support all four
commports.  Else you could just compile it to run under DOSbased 2.3.6.

I don't know of any drastic 'discontinuity' between COM1,2 and COM3,4.
Of course:
  	IF port = 0 THEN base := 3F8H ELSE base := 2F8H END;
is 'oriented' towards selecting one-of-two; but patching the code
should not be too difficult ? Problem is, you're potentially messing with
the mouse, which will disable your system !

Have you really got 3 serial ports already used ?
Or is it just that your second port is wired as COM4 ?

-- Chris Glur.