: [Oberon] User friendly & COM:4

Felix Friedrich friedrich at gsf.de
Tue Jul 16 10:34:47 CEST 2002

Douglas G. Danforth wrote

>Oberon has never been "marketed" to the American public.  But
>in order to do that it must meet some very basic requirements
>of simplicity and reliability.  A three button mouse will not
>be saleable.  BlackBox has done a good job in circumventing
>mouse interclicks.

I am currently working on Software Package called ANTS (Stochastic image
analysis, educational and scientific software, itself based on Voyager
(Project Voyager, G.Sawitzki, Heidelberg)) and am using the Windows ETH
Oberon (native) Version. Emil Zeller has done a good job to circumvent the
three buttons by allowing double clicks and to provide some
windows-standard dialogs. Indeed, all panels that will be distributed with
my software do work without the middle mouse button, in particular without
any interclicks. (still, the third mouse button and interclicks can be used
for advanced stuff like object dependency views etc.) I have tested that
with some Oberon-unexperienced people and it really works fine, so:
OberonS3 native (at least under Windows) is definitely an alternative to
BlackBox in that sense. (and in some other, too.)

Felix.