[Oberon] Re: Commercializing Oberon: User Needs

mcintosh at vima.austin.tx.us mcintosh at vima.austin.tx.us
Wed Jul 17 16:25:48 CEST 2002

I took a minute to look at this site.  If I understand it correctly,
you have a standard 3.5" floppy that will reboot to install a RAM
disk based windows 3.1.

One issue here is  "privilege" to reboot the machine.  The current
Oberon architecture allows one CD that addresses both
scenarios.  Bluebottle perfects this technology in the few files
no.exe + aoside.bin and the bootloader.

In a chemistry lab setting, where the faculty have control over the
computers, the reboot solution may be universally acceptable.

I would like to take my Oberon environment to the public library and
use it there.  The word that I use often is "unobtrusive."  It should
execute from the CD without starting an "install" program, and it
should leave the machine totally clean, i.e., in a "standard
configuration,"  when the user leaves.

So the questions for the project are:
  Do we support unobtrusive?
  Do we support boot on intel?
  Do we support boot on G2?
  Do we support only 1 option in release 1, and more later?