[Oberon] connect to ISP via dialup PPP with BlueBottle, how ?

muller at inf.ethz.ch muller at inf.ethz.ch
Sun Jul 21 09:27:55 CEST 2002

wdbh <sequitur at sonic.net> wrote:
>   The months are flying by but I still haven't figured out
> how to connect to the internet via dialup PPP to my ISP
> with BlueBottle.

AFAIK Edgar Schwarz has ported his PPP modules from Native, but I
don't think they are in the release yet since there were problems
with the serial driver latency.  Perhaps Edgar can provide the
necessary modules.  Edgar, are you here?

>   LinkDevice="Unknown"
>   LocalIP="0.0.0.0"
>   LocalName="localhost"
>   Domain="sonic.net"
>   DNS0="208.201.224.11"
>   DNS1="208.201.224.33"
>   CacheSize="1000"
>   APM="0"
>
>   Would someone please tell me what is the simplest way
> for me to tell if this is correct or not?

Just BTW, if you had ethernet the above would be incorrect.

E.g. to set up TCP/IP for a local ethernet with a 3Com 90X card
you would set LinkDevice="Aos3Com90x" and LocalIP="192.168.0.1"
(or whatever your LAN address is).

If you have a LAN with another PC with a modem, you could set up
a PPP gateway using Linux or Windows.  Or if you have a cable
or DSL connection with ethernet, you can connect via that.

>   If so, what is the difference between the two different Oberons that
> appear to be available on the BlueBottle menu.

Only the size of the Oberon window.  If you look at the Menu.*.XML
files you'll see the two are invoked with different size parameters.

>   I would like to be spending much more time on BlueBottle
> but, as a practical matter, I cannot do that unless
> I can be connected to the internet while I am running
> BlueBottle.

While we are on the subject, it would be nice to have a network
driver for the ethernet driver emulated by VMware (AMD 79c970 PCnet
Lance compatible), since that would allow running Bluebottle with
networking on a VMware virtual PC on Linux or Windows.

In case someone wants to have a go, the Linux driver is at:
   drivers/net/lance.c

The AMD documentation appears to be at:
  http://www.amd.com/us-en/Networking/ProductInformation/0,,50_2330_3276_2500,00.html

This seems to be for a newer version, the 972.  Perhaps AMD will give
access to older documentation on request.  VMware Inc. may also be
able to point to documentation.

On the Aos side, the Aos3Com509 and Aos3Com90x modules can server
as examples.

-- Pieter

--
Pieter Muller, Computer Systems Institute, ETH Zurich / MCT Lab, Zurich
Native Oberon OS: http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/native/