[Oberon] reinstalled hacked V24.Mod

cglur at onwe.co.za cglur at onwe.co.za
Tue Jul 23 21:39:23 CEST 2002

Ghost wrote:

> I've reinstalled the /pub/ETHOberon/Native/Update/Beta
> version of Oberon 3 within a 30 meg FAT16 file on my
> C: drive and am using noboot.exe to execute Oberon
> from MSDOS v6.22.

I didn't know that Beta 081200 had a DOSbased version.
You do know that Alpha is newer: 2001 ?
I keep on writing that "n-o's problems are not bleeding-edge
technology, but trivial mangement/house-keeping details".
Still use what you've got to exercise.
Value is what you can do; not what you've got.

> Now I can't get the compiler to compile the new V24.Mod
> and cannot find any text-tool that will read the "Tutorial"
> text files nor the "Docu" text files.

Do you know how to open a file by just 'looking' at the name ?
     Try mid-press, right-press, mid-release.
Open this: Compiler.Tool  . (F1) positions the star, where you want it opened.

Always use successive refinement (in life):

 compile this 'right here', by selecting (mouse-right) the beginning of
the source, and executing:  Compiler.Compile @\s
(* first source code *)
MODULE Ghost1;
IMPORT Out;

PROCEDURE ExportedCommand*;
  BEGIN
  Out.Ln();Out.String("Exported Command")
  END ExportedCommand;

BEGIN
  Out.String("hello world")
END Ghost1.
(* ---------------- *)

when I compiled this (with alpha), I saw in my System.Log:
   compiling Ghost1 extended symbol file   47

Now to test/run it execute the exported command of the Ghost1.Obj .
Ie. execute: Ghost1.ExportedCommand .

mid-pressed, left-pressed, mid-released  reloads (re-executes the main
block) the Obj-code, as well as the exported procedure.

Once you get above the critical mass with n-o, you'll never look back !!

> I checked just to be sure - WinZip will not uncompress the
> *.Arc files of Oberon.

There will be a tool in the n-o package to do this. Possibly called Arc.Tool

> Q: Is V24.Mod truly a `module' that the kernel loads or must I
> recompile the entire kernel to get my changes into the system
> for my use?

Yes, It's so easy, it shouldn't be allowed.

> Q: How do I read "Tutorial" and/or "Docu" from either the
> standard interface or Gadgets?

As I wrote just 'look' at the file name to open the file.
Some texts need Desktops.OpenDoc ^ (pre-select the file name)
to open in the proper format.

> Q: Are there any plain-text versions of this documentation

No plain-text reader can match the convenience of a live n-o system.

> and tutorials that I can read from MSDOS, Windows, etc.
> and stop fighting a system I am not familiar with?

Don't fight - just fly.

1. get a running n-o system.
2. know mouse usage:
     select a text strech
     reposition text-frames
     execute various Module.Commands
3. start using: System.Directory ^
   with various selections eg: *.Tool  *.Text   *.Mod  *.Obj
  The tutors will be various *.Text .
   Perhaps beta has got some *.html - these need Desktops.OpenDoc ^

-- Chris Glur.