[Oberon] New Oberon users bootstrap improvement project

Edgar Schwarz edgar at edgarschwarz.de
Fri Jul 26 00:39:40 CEST 2002

Hi,
I followed the discussion abaout the problems of new Oberon users for a
while.
Now my view:
- If you successfully have installed an NO you will probably have a
tiled system
    with the following somewhere on your screen:
      Script.Open System.Text
        click middle mouse button (or double left)
        on Script.Open above for introductory text
- This should be clear enough. In System.Text you find rather in the
beginning:
	Script.Open UserGuide.Text
- This gives you the important hint:
    <== Click left/right mouse button in bar to scroll up/down.
- Perhaps this already should be mentioned in the beginning of System.Text.
    Another idea for the first page of System.Text could be something like:
      If you have installed the Gadgets system and Documentation (?) (see
below) with
      Desktops.OpenDoc OberonCompanion.Tool (aka Book.Tool) you can
access the electronic
      version of 'The Oberon Companion', the book on Oberon System3.
So, did I describe the status quo correctly ?
What's the problem with the existing stuff ?
What do you think of my proposals ?

I publish this in the mailing list and also in comp.lang.oberon.
I would like to move the traffic from the mailinglist to the newsgroup
for the
following reasons:
- There is nearly no traffic in the newsgroup.
- In the newsgroup the articles are archived and you easily can follow
threads.
- The newsgroup is read probably by more people than the mailing list.
- My mailserver now wants authentication even if SMTP doesn't require
this. So at
    the moment I can't send mail with Oberon. They want to stop some spam
but sadly
    for me the consequence is that I have to send from Windoof now.
    BTW, I guess that I could fix this problem in a day. But I don't have
this day
    for this problem at the moment.
- I can still post from Oberon.
So I admit that I have a selfish reason to advertise the newsgroup :-)

Cheers, Edgar