[Oberon] Re: New Oberon users bootstrap improvement project

Stefan Salewski Salewski at PHYSnet.Uni-Hamburg.de
Fri Jul 26 20:56:17 CEST 2002

Edgar at EdgarSchwarz.de wrote:

> Hi,
> I followed the discussion about the problems of new Oberon users
> for a while.
> What's the problem with the existing stuff ?
> What do you think of my proposals ?
>
> Cheers, Edgar

Hello!

I think that there is enough documentation and information
to install ETH-Native-Oberon or BlueBottle-Oberon and start using it.

I have installed Native-Oberon three years ago for the first time, I
think it was not too diffical. A few weeks ago I have installed
BlueBottle-Oberon. Was simple too.

At each new installation my biggest problem is again and again the
danger of destroying the integrity of the other two
operating-systems, which resides on my computer, and which I need for
my daily work. In spite of the carefully work of Pieter Muller and
others at ETH there will be always a little risk if installing
ETH-Oberon to a non empty computer. I know there is an ETH-Oberon
which runs under Linux, and an ETH-Oberon runnig under Windows too.
But I prefer Native-Oberon and BlueBottle-Oberon, both in its own
partition runnig absolutly independent of other systems.
BlueBottle-Oberon can be started from CD, this is very usefull to
test hardware compatibility before trying to install to harddisk.

I said that I think that there is enough documentation to install
Native-Oberon or Blue-Bottle-Oberon and to start working.

But this is only true for people who are willig to invest some time
and effords. If we want to increase the number of Oberon-Users
outside of ETH, than more good documentsation, accessible without a
running Oberon-System, is necessary. Many people prefer to print out
complete installation instructions before starting installation.

There is very good documentation available at www.oberon.ethz.ch, but
this is more for experts already familiar with ETH-Oberon. I regret
that there is so few documentation about BlueBottle available. I
found only two documents: The language report of Patrik Reali, and a
text of Prof. Gutknecht called "Do the fish really need remote
control".

To gain new users (and developers) outside of ETH, the following may
be usefull:

- A clear statement of ETH about the planned future of Native-Oberon
   and BlueBottle.

- A text (pdf, html or plain asccii) at www.oberon.ethz.ch describing
  the basic concepts of ETH-Oberon.

-A text (pdf, html or plain asccii) at www.oberon.ethz.ch describing
 the installation of Native-Oberon and BlueBottle.

-A text (pdf, html or plain asccii) at www.oberon.ethz.ch describing
 the basic usage of Native-Oberon (3-Bottom mouse, commands, ...)

-A pdf-version of "The Oberon companion". Even Better, a book like
 this one dedicated to BlueBottle.

I think that the Active-Oberon-Language with BlueBottle-OS is very
interesting. But at the same time I fear, that ETH-Oberon will die if
the big ETH people like Pieter Muller and Patrik Reali will leave ETH.

Best regards

  Stefan Salewski