[Oberon] Wizards

Douglas G. Danforth danforth at greenwoodfarm.com
Mon Jul 29 16:06:01 CEST 2002

Ghost in the Machine wrote:

> > Message: 4
> > Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 23:36:08 -0700
> > From: wdbh <sequitur at sonic.net>
> > To: oberon at inf.ethz.ch
> > Subject: [Oberon] connect to ISP via dialup PPP with BlueBottle, how ?
> >
> > Is there any plan to provide BlueBottle with a "wizard" that will, by
> > examining the environment in which it finds itself and asking the user,
> > be able to figure out everything it needs to know to establish a dialup
> > ppp connection with the user's ISP?
>
> No OS I am aware of has this capability.
> Charles.Angelich

When trying to decide if one's machine is capable of running
Native Oberon or Bluebottle such a Wizard written for MS Windows
or Linux would seem appropriate.  Most users do not know whether
their machine uses an IDE drive or otherwise.  There are installation
tools for Native that can reveal the number and type of devices
on a machine.  All that would be necessary is to create an executeable
for Windows/Linux that does the same (or similar) process and tell
the user whether their machine is compatible with Oberon.

More intelligent Wizards such as "dialup ppp connection with the
user's ISP" would be more problematic but very nice to have.
(by the way I use a cable modem connection on my Windows machine
which is much nicer than dialup: $37 for TV + $40 for Internet,
and a router that supports two PC's).

-Doug