Re. [Oberon] multiple version of open.text & ppp

cglur at onwe.co.za cglur at onwe.co.za
Fri Aug 2 18:25:17 CEST 2002

ghost wrote:
> Native/Oberon/Beta 08.12.20
>
> Having problems with getting a PAP login to my
> ISP so I decided to check for help within the
> documentaton files "The Oberon Companion".
>
> Oberon seems to like command names that
> imply the command module reads text.
> So far I've found Script.Open, Edit.Open,
> DeskTops.OpenDoc, TextDocs.Show,
> and several variations for either ASCII
> or Unix formatted text.

Yes, the 3 types: Edit, Script, Desktops.OpenDoc ^
doesn't make for simplicity.  Some have extra facilities.
And note that MM, inter-click-MR opens the same type as
from where it's done.

> I realize the difference between a binary editor
> and a translating mini-Word procesor that
> contains font informations etc. but what's
> the deal with so many "read text" variations
> here?

It will become clear as you progress.

> Other than the obvious confusion at finding
> so many commands that seem to be similar
> I find that in Chapter Two I cannot scroll
> down past the end of the chart for the Compiler
> switches.  None of the above commands
> (I tried each one) will allow me to see what
> is below that chart.

Yes, OK. Me too. Apparently we (using coarse VGA resolution)
have the 'chart' object overflowing the length of the screen; so
we can't ML on the side-bar just below the object. {We can't
get the crowbar under to lift it.}    I'm guessing that those using
a higher resolution don't have this SERIOUS problem ?
Please someone confirm (or not) this.
Tip:
  don't write your own terminology, eg. "Chapter Two";
  better cut and paste the exact appropriate string: Chapter2.Text .
1. save typing
2. allow other paty(s) to closely duplicate your steps.

Since I've been using n-o on a big legal project, I always 'echo'
the other parties' wording. Be it my opponent or the legislation.
So I'm using their wording, not mine.
Instead of typing in my own creation, I just assemble their fragments.
  -----------------
> I am now able to use the mini-terminal from within
> Native/Oberon 08.12.02 with my modem on COM4.
>
> I rewrote V24.Mod, recompiled, rebooted and now
> Oberon dials out and connects with other modems.

Good!

> I'm not able to get connected to my ISP just yet.
> The process is more than a bit confusing to me.
>
> I open Oberon.Text and fill in all the information
> along with username, password, and host then
> I find a `note' telling me that to use PAP login
>  I must use add "Call PPPMain.Startinst <provider><user>"
> as the last command in the login script.
>
> THEN it tells me to  to use
> NetSystem.SetUser pap:<user><:password>@<provider>
> to set the password before dialing?
>
> Why did I put the password into the "NetSystem"
> routine if I was going to have to do it using
> NetSystem.SetUser?  And if I put my username
> after PPPmain.Startinst why do I have to repeat
> this again.

Judging from linux NewsGroups, ppp is a very troublesome thing.
You are ahead of me with n-o 08.12.02, and I had problems with
ppp for alpha 2001, so perhaps my setting are no longer applicable.
Here's what works for me:
I've got a script to activate the 2 commands -- which must  be
on separate lines with no leading whiteChars.

NetSystem.SetUser pap:cglur:<my password>@PPP ~
Dialer.Dial PPP Device0 ~

I've named this script: CRGppp.Do;  name yours <anything>.
The script is activated by:
Configuration.DoText  CRGppp.Do

So, 1 click does the connection.

{another scripts does the various email and NewsGroup jobs,
 and the 3rd does the disconnect}
---------------
My Oberon.Text looks like:
NetSystem = {
	Hosts = {
		Domain = { "onwe.co.za", "" }          <-- ? My ISP
		DNS0 = { "dns0", "196.28.81.34" }
		DNS1 = { "dns1", "196.25.53.3" }
		DNS2 = { "dns2", "196.25.48.34" }
	SMTP = "mail-out.onwe.co.za"	{* outgoing mail server *}
	POP = "mail-in.onwe.co.za"	{* incoming mail server *}
	NNTP = "news.saix.net"	{* news server *}
	POPMode = "POP3"	{* POP3 or APOP *}

	EMail = "cglur at onwe.co.za"	{* your return address (leave out the < and >) *}
	MailSignature = "cglur at onwe.co.za"	{* text appended to every outgoing mail *}
	NewsSignature = "News.Sig.Text"	{* text appended to every outgoing news posting *}
	LeaveOnServer = Yes	{* Mail.Panel leaves email on POP server when downloading *}
	TraceMail = No	{* display mail protocol information in System.Log *}
PPP = {
	Init = { COM2 38400 }	{* modem port and speed example. *}
	Dial = {
		"ATZ"
		10 "OK"
		"ATX"           <--- most Telcos & modems don't need this
		10 "OK"
		"ATD 2668400"
		"ATM1"
		60 "CONNECT"
		CALL "PPPMain.StartInst PPP cglur"
	}
}
-----------
My System.Log trace is:
Dial script started
Sending [ATZ]
Waiting 10s for [OK] {ATZ||OK}
Sending [ATX]
Waiting 10s for [OK] {|ATX||OK}
Sending [ATD 2668400]
Sending [ATM1]
Waiting 60s for [CONNECT] {|ATD 2668400|ATM1|...etc.

As said, I'm not sure that these are valid for 'newer' alpha ?

-- Chris Glur.