[Oberon] Dear Mr. Angelich (Ghost),

Stefan Salewski Salewski at PHYSnet.Uni-Hamburg.de
Sun Aug 4 15:04:09 CEST 2002

Dear Mr. Angelich,

since a few weeks you are sending messages to oberon at inf.ethz.ch,
I think the average number in more than 3 daily.

I have stopped reading your messages for about one week after
your silly comments about the 3-button-mouse. (A 3-button-mouse
is cheap (10 EURO for my Logitech Pilot-Mouse), usefull (cut and
pase in Linux, middle button to launch programs in Windows) and
most computers here at Institut for Laser-Physiks at Hamburg
University have a 3-button-mouse or a wheel-mouse which can be
used as 3-button-mouse.) Oberon was designed for a
3-button-mouse, after some practice most people can work with
interclicks. I am not sure if these choise of using interclicks
is the optimum for the user-interface of oberon. Maybe there
exist better solutions. If you have a new design for mouse-usage
for oberon and you are willing to reprogramm the user-interface,
then we can discuss your suggestions. But we should not waste
time just for complaining. A factory of pianos will not start
building pianos with only two keys just because you think there
are too many keys.

In the last days I readed a few other messages from you. Some of
your points, like too many documentation and problems with some
hardware-compoments may be justified. But You have to see this:

ETH-Oberon is mainly a research project. Manpower at ETH and
manpower of Oberon-users outside of ETH is limited. For me
ETH-Oberon (native and blue-bottle) is an interesting project.
People at ETH have done very good work. If you have an
Intel-compatible PC with IDE-harddisk, vesa-compatible graphic
card, then chances are not bad that Oberon will run on your
computer. There is support for 3COM-network cards, and for some
other hardware. If you try to use very old hardware, for example
a display with resolution less than 1024x768 points, there may
be some problems. But it should not be too diffical to fix it.
In the current state ETH-Oberon can not compete with
MicroSoft-OS or Linux. I like Oberon, because I like the
language, I like a compact OS with open source-code, and I like
the helpful people at ETH. Most of my work I am doing with
Linux, I use Oberon just for fun, for some data-processing and
for numerical simulations. Its not perfect, but it works.

I think it is not a good idea to send soo many messages to this
list. I have not the time to read it or even to respond, and I
think other people too. People at ETH have much work to do, they
must concentrate on serious problems. You should decide if you
like ETH-Oberon or like it not. If you like it, try go get all
available information about it. Buy some books, for example "The
Oberon Companion" and other older books, and read it. Then
concentrate on the most serious problems. There are many
interesting tasks for all of us: Writing new software, writing
new Drivers for unsupported hardware, writing documentation.

Best regards

  Stefan Salewski