[Oberon] Someone noticed - there is a God!

Charles Angelich cangelich at famvid.com
Tue Aug 6 18:11:07 CEST 2002

Was doing my daily "search for truth" or in other words
trying to find documentation for Oberon.  Found this
website: http://www.statlab.uni-heidelberg.de/projects/oberon/
with this paragraph near the top of the page.

=============

Access to Oberon

At present, Oberon comes in four variants. These are available from the
"official" ftp site for the Oberon distribution is
ftp.inf.ethz.ch[129.132.101.33], or from the mirror site at
statlab.uni-heidelberg.de. Each of the Oberon versions comes with
additional information.

Unfortunatly this information may be hidden, apocryphal or worse (e.g.
information about how to install software which you can read after you have
installed the software successfully). We are providing installation
information which was helpful to us. This may be outdated the time you read
it. But if it is still helpful to you, we are happy. Comments/corrections
are welcome.

=============

Something in the second paragraph above sounds familiar to me.

I'm not the only one who noticed the contradiction of putting user
information where you can only read it after you've already installed Oberon.

The _really_ interesting thing at this website is that they offer some
`tips' for installation presumably to overcome the need to first install
Oberon `blindly' to get to the information stored within Oberon (as
mentioned above).  The index of articles is in English.  You click on one
of them and guess what?  They are all in German. ROTFLMAO!

Life chasing Oberon is seldom dull.

Charles Angelich

The Ghost in the Machine!

DOS and W31 Tech website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost

Stories, poems, music, and photos website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost/faf