[Oberon] new user installs

Charles Angelich cangelich at famvid.com
Wed Aug 7 16:10:04 CEST 2002

>http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/native/WebAlpha.html>Message: 15
>From: Jacques Eloff <eloff at cs.sun.ac.za>
>To: oberon at inf.ethz.ch
>Subject: Re: [Oberon] Someone noticed - there is a God!
>Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 12:09:16 +0200
>
>> The _really_ interesting thing at this website is that they offer some
>> `tips' for installation presumably to overcome the need to first install
>> Oberon `blindly' to get to the information stored within Oberon (as
>> mentioned above).
>
>The information is available, in English at ETH
>http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/install.html. There's a link on the main page of
>Native that reads "Installation instructions".
>
>Regards
>  Jacques Eloff

I appreciate the information.  The website does not read well for a person
like myself.  This could be that I am not observant or it could be that the
organization of the website works for those with more Oberon experience than
I have at this time?

Normally when downloading new software, particularly alternate OS, the archive
includes documentation in the format of your existing OS.  The OS you used to
download the archive.  Makes sense?

The online documentation is lost to me when I am installing Oberon I must
reboot
and have no browser to read it in online or even offline.  I am within Oberon
for better or for worse and need a simple printed set of instructions if I am
to make use of them once I boot to the Oberon0.Dsk - this fact may be lost to
those who have several computers side by side and can be online and use
another
computer for the install Oberon functions?

The browsers I have at present do a poor job printing webpages therefore I am
reluctant to use that function unless it becomes necessary. :-\

I could go to the ETH website from within LYNX (text only browser) or LINKS
(linux
text only browser) and attempt a printout using them.  I didn't notice
there was
a helpful first-install page at the website. :-\

Charles Angelich

The Ghost in the Machine!

DOS and W31 Tech website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost

Stories, poems, music, and photos website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost/faf