[Oberon] Re: Oberon digest, Vol 1 #39 - 5 msgs

Charles Angelich cangelich at famvid.com
Fri Aug 9 14:16:29 CEST 2002

>Message: 1
>Subject: Re: [Oberon] Oberon filenames
>Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 16:22:18 +0200
>From: "Treutwein Bernhard" <Bernhard.Treutwein at Verwaltung.Uni-Muenchen.DE>
>To: <oberon at inf.ethz.ch>
>

>> Pardon my "newbie" question here but what is there about "DUG_IDE.C"
>> that Oberon finds problematic as a filename?
>
>the underscore !
>
>As I remember filenames can contain only letters digits and dots.
>Not allowed are ~ & ^ ! and spaces (I guess also umlauts and other
>special characters pose a problem).
>
>(I had also been struggling sometimes with this problem).

Ah ... that would've never occurred to me.  The underscore is allowed in
most other OS I have used. The others I would probably have spotted. :-)

Looks as though, to be compatible with other OS filenames, ZipTool needs
error trapping to request a legal Oberon filename rather than just
error/abort?

Charles Angelich

The Ghost in the Machine!

DOS and W31 Tech website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost

Stories, poems, music, and photos website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost/faf