[Oberon] Re: Oberon digest, Vol 1 #41 - 6 msgs

Charles Angelich cangelich at famvid.com
Sun Aug 11 15:48:09 CEST 2002

>Message: 3
>From: cglur at onwe.co.za
>Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 20:11:03 +0200
>To: oberon at inf.ethz.ch
>Cc: cglur at onwe.co.za
>Subject: [Oberon] beginners only
>

>Ghost wrote:
>> If none of the above could anyone tell me what needs to be added to the
>> Alpha Install Oberon0.dsk image file to allow installing Alpha to a
>> DOS FAT file (loopback)?  I'm willing to give it a try but am not certain
>> what needs to be added to allow this option for Native/Alpha.
>>
>After the stable Ver 2.3.6, the beta & alpha main new features are the
>ability to access multiple partitions.  The main advantage of DOSbased
>is that users don't need to mess with the existing partition(s).
>Since beta & alpha versions need their own partition(s), it seems
>pointless to spend effort to make DOSbased versions.

The list of changes for Alpha are too long to discuss here and can be
viewed online at the ETH website.  Considerably more than access to
multiple partitions.

My main interest was to gain access to COM1-COM4 with a proper rewrite
not my hacked V24.Mod version.

Several of the "mount" command modules have had name changes and I didn't
want to spend the time to become familiar with commands that will no longer
function if/when I update to a newer version.  Need I go on?

>You should be using Ver 2.3.6, IMHO.

Only if I want to learn non-existent command module names and then relearn
these same commands at some future date.

>> I'm slowly reading the "Companion" installed documentation files.  I found
>> a way to get beyond that compiler graphic in chapter 2 that locks the
>> scroll.  I use the MM to get an absolute position past the graphic. :-)
>
>You "found" after at least twice being instructed !?

I was never "instructed" as to how to get past this bug in the viewer. I
read replies that others had no problem with their 1024x768 displays or
that they didn't have a Native/Beta install to test this with.  As though
I might be hallucinating when I said it was hung at the graphic.

>> Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 04:28:29
>> The references to the "PPP={}" routine seem circular to me?
>>
>> This: NetSystem.SetUser pap:cglur:<my password>@PPP ~
>>
>> Seems to be referencing the dialer script?  I don't understand
>> this.
>>
>> Same thing here: Dialer.Dial PPP Device0 ~
>>
>> The "PPP" location is for the <provider>.  I don't get it?
>
>PPP is complicated.  I just hope that the setup instructions can be
>followed to succeed, without being understood.

They can't if you refer to Native/Beta 08.12.00 - I can guarantee that
new users with little to no experience configuring PPP will never ever
get online using what is provided by downloading Native/Beta 08.12.00
and that includes reading ALL of the supplied tutorials, documentation,
and PPP.Tool.

>==========================
>> Was reading the "Companion" book installed with Native Oberon Beta
>> and found the command EditTools.ChangeColor { old => new } ~.
>>
>> Question: Where are the color NUMBERS given?  I looked in the
>> corresponding EditTools.Tool and no chart was there for the
>> numbers to substitute for the colors. :-\
>
>If I wanted to know this I might try: Desktops.OpenDoc   Find.Panel ~
>with "olor" ? or olour" in Chapter*.Text
>Or Find.Domain  with Find.All ^

The short answer is that there is no chart for the numbers that
correspond to the colors - right?

Charles Angelich

The Ghost in the Machine!

DOS and W31 Tech website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost

Stories, poems, music, and photos website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost/faf