[Oberon] Re: Oberon digest, Vol 1 #42 - 15 msgs

Charles Angelich cangelich at famvid.com
Mon Aug 12 08:55:18 CEST 2002

>Message: 15
>Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:41:59 +0200 (MET DST)
>From: fischer at inf.ethz.ch
>To: oberon at inf.ethz.ch
>Cc: fischer at inf.ethz.ch
>Subject: Re: [Oberon] comp.lang.oberon
>
>On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 Charles Angelich <cangelich at famvid.com> wrote:
>
>> Why/how do all the messages posted at comp.lang.oberon just
>> disappear after a few days?
>
>The number of messages retained by each news server is probably
>dictated by the posting date + a retention period

A more sophisticated methodology is to determine a maximum size to store
messages and then do a FIFO routine to maintain it at that max if/when
it ever gets there.  Deleting by dates is a bit arbritrary IMO.

>The retention period is a parameter of the particular server.
>From observation, we can infer that the ETH server
>stores postings for 2 weeks +
>and eliminates older postings every Mo.

Seems shorter than 2 weeks to me but I understand.  At first I thought
I was seeing things.  I've never seen a usenet area purged this way
before. :-\

>Older matter must be retrieved from archives.
>Some are listed at the end of http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/support.html
>
>The list is probably not exhaustive.

Thaks again for the information.

I can understand why so few post there.  It makes you feel as though
your messages have no value to be purged like that when other usenet
groups retain "cute" messages about puppies and kittens. :-\

Charles Angelich

The Ghost in the Machine!

DOS and W31 Tech website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost

Stories, poems, music, and photos website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost/faf