[Oberon] sales

Charles Angelich cangelich at famvid.com
Mon Aug 12 08:40:23 CEST 2002

>Message: 6
>From: cglur at onwe.co.za
>Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 20:54:10 +0200
>To: oberon at inf.ethz.ch
>Cc: cglur at onwe.co.za
>Subject: Re. [Oberon]  offscreen commands ? & ps/pdf docs
>
>Charles Angelich wrote:
>> I've temporarily solved the problem with 640x480 displays
>> concealing the "Search" and "Store" commands offscreen on
>> the right side of the System.Tool display by selecting all
>> of the text within the toolbar and executing:
>>
>> Script.ChangeFont Oberon8.Scn.Fnt
>
>Amazing, I never realised it was a problem !

It has been for me and a few others who posted that observation here
not long ago.

>Can you solve my 'problem' that line 455 of my text is also 'offscreen' ?

Sure.  Delete lines 2-454.  See how the power of your 3 button mouse
works for you!

>In your 'toolbox' you will have big & small screw-driver(s) ?
>For different tasks. Rather than 2 of the same.  Your attempt
>to make UserTrack & SystemTrack behave the same, is false logic.

Wanting to have access to the "buttons" is false logic?  Why are
they put there if I'm not supposed to use them?

>> I can now "Store" changes to System.Tool without the two
>> "grow" MM clicks and then two "close" MM clicks to get it
>> back to the system track location. :-)
>>

>> Works for System.Log too.
>
>Remember System.Log is special/different.
>It's name is visible without typing, and can be the root of a second
>entry tree, to do much without ever using the keyboard.

Exactly and I was working on just that very thing but unable to get to
the "Store" button to save my work without two "grow" clicks, then
"store", then two "close" clicks to put the system track back where
it belongs.

>> Others mentioned needing to grow/close to access these
>> and I thought I'd mention this temp fix.  :-\
>
>The ability to 'have stuff hidden' in central to computing:
>  to reduce mental clutter.

No it is not.

>But by all means customise your 'setup' to suite your personality.
>N-o makes this easy.

No, just the opposite.  N-o was hiding the "Store" coammand so that
it was NOT easy.

>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>> Question: Are there Post Script and/or PDF readers written for
>> use with Oberon that I can add to a Native/Beta 08.12.00 install
>> to view these postscript and pdf documents?
>
> What ps/pdf docs ? N-o currently doesn't handle them.

Coco.ps if I'm remembering this correctly (referred to in Coco.Tool?)
The ".ps" file is installed on my Native/Beta install presumably
from either the gadgets archive or the apps archive?

>> I do know that these are printer-ready files but I also know
>> it's a waste of printer ink and paper to print out 200 pdf
>> pages to find they weren't what you needed. :-\
>
> If you think any paper representation can better n-o text for
>serious reading/studying text, this proves that you have not yet
>found much of n-o's power.

I feel like I'm in a new car showroom and you're selling the Ober-mobile
here.

I said just the opposite that I did NOT want a paper printout of the
file and you read the reverse?

I haven't used a printer on my computer for almost 10 years.  Everything
here is on magnetic media or burned onto CDs - NO PAPER <-- read this!

>* No pages to flip.
>* Immediate search/find  words or phrases; also in multiple docs.
>* Effortless 'Koki pen' marking, to your chosen colour/script.
>* Effortless cutNpaste from multiple documnets to multiple documents,
>   to build your own version of the material.

Not in the market for an Ober-Mobile, thanks anyhow.

Charles Angelich

The Ghost in the Machine!

DOS and W31 Tech website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost

Stories, poems, music, and photos website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost/faf