[Oberon] Prefix

Douglas G. Danforth danforth at greenwoodfarm.com
Thu Aug 15 15:44:35 CEST 2002

Charles Angelich wrote:

> I would suggest that four letter prefix relevant only to the OS and it's
> applications would be more useful and user-friendly than arbitrary
> initials that mean nothing to me or any other computer user.

More than four letters are possible with the current BlackBox prefix.
For example:
  System
  BTrees
  Audio

Oberon is written in a platform independent style hence no
specific OS information should appear anywhere unless it
specifically states that this is only for a specific OS.
Again, for example
  Host
is a directory under BlackBox that holds host specific code.

I would not expect anyone to know what Gft stands for.  It is
only after one learns that, for example, an eigenvalue package exists
from Greenwood Farm Technologies and is called GftEigen that
one would then know the meaning of the Gft prefix.

There may be many other eigenvalue packages and so the user
will establish some 'feeling' that GftEigen is good or bad
depending upon experience in the same way that one learns
that Buick or Nissan are good or bad depending upon experience.

-Doug