[Oberon] Re:direcotry display using "\d"

Charles Angelich cangelich at famvid.com
Fri Aug 16 14:29:23 CEST 2002

>Message: 3
>From: Stefan Salewski <Salewski at PHYSnet.Uni-Hamburg.de>
>To: oberon at inf.ethz.ch
>Subject: Re: [Oberon] Re: Oberon digest, Vol 1 #45 - 6 msgs
>Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 13:55:49 +0200
>
>On 15.08.2002 08:42 Charles Angelich wrote:
>> As it displays now the dates don't line up and the sizes don't
>> line.  You didn't say WHY the lines should not be broken?  Any
>> particular reason you need just one line?
>>
>If the width of System.Log is large enough, then the output
>of System.Directory with option /D should occupy only one line
>for an entry, just to use the available space optimal.

The direcory display of N-O Sys 3 is not easilly used to locate
a file by date or by size, only the filename is clearly visible.
Any attempt to compare dates or sizes is extremely difficult
without columnar tabbing.

>The Viewer of my System.Log (1280 x 1024 Monitor) is width
>enough for filename, date and size on one single line.

Can you locate the dates easilly when reading this single jumbled
line of text?

>But I agree with you that dates and file-sizes should not follow
>direct after the filename, they should be ordered in columns.

N-O Sys 3 has a 32 character maximum filename size.  If you were
to allow 32 characters for the filename column and a TAB to the
next column (4 chars?) all of the other text would be offscreen
to the right for a 640x480 display size (35 chararcters).

>So your solution seems to be indeed an improvement, but it is
>not optimal for wide displays.

I was trying to find a workable solution for all display sizes
that would make the display useful.  Not being able to easilly
locate dates or filesizes makes me wonder why I would even bother
to USE the "\d" switch?

Are you advocating NO backwards compatibility with earlier installs
simply because YOU have a 1280x1024 screen size?  This seems to
be creating a rift here between those who "have" and those who
"have not".

What happened to the "keep it simple but no simpler" philosophy I've
seen mentioned here earlier?

Charles Angelich

The Ghost in the Machine!

DOS and W31 Tech website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost

Stories, poems, music, and photos website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost/faf