[Oberon] Re: user-friendly website

Charles Angelich cangelich at famvid.com
Fri Aug 16 14:56:54 CEST 2002

>Message: 5
>From: cglur at onwe.co.za
>Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 02:40:16 +0200
>To: oberon at inf.ethz.ch
>Cc: cglur at onwe.co.za
>Subject: [Oberon] Project Voyager ?
>
>Having been directed here, from this mailing list:
>
> http://www.statlab.uni-heidelberg.de/projects/voyager/
>
>> Voyager  is  a  project  to  explore the feasibility of a portable and
>>    extensible  system  for  simulation  and  data  analysis  systems.
>
>I still don't see how this differs from S3, which is also a portable,
>extensible system  for  simulation  and  data  analysis ?
>
>Perhaps some project to which this is specifically aimed could be
>listed to justify further investigation ?
>
>I have long maintained that persons who have been long and
>deeply involved in developing new 'systems' are unqualified to write
>an introduction to their project.  For obvious reasons they can't have
>an outsider's view.
>
>-- Chris Glur.

My reaction to the Voyager webpages was similar to your own reaction.
It appeared that I could construct this myself were I to have a need
for those particular displays.

btw: The bar graph does not seem to follow the actual datapoints shown
but that's not important right now. ;-)

If you were to direct a random sampling of experienced PC computer
users to the ETH Oberon Sys 3 website they would be confounded and
annoyed attempting to determine exactly what N-O Sys 3 is and how
to locate a stable fully functional version that accomodates their
other existing installed software and hardware.

Criticism, in this instance, is a double edged sword that "cuts
both ways". ;-)

Charles Angelich

The Ghost in the Machine!

DOS and W31 Tech website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost

Stories, poems, music, and photos website:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost/faf