[Oberon] Re: directory display using "\d"

Peter Easthope peter_easthope at gulfnet.sd64.bc.ca
Sat Aug 17 19:01:52 CEST 2002

Charles, Stefan & others,

Hopefully some of the good ideas you have
both mentioned are implemented eventually.

ca> I was trying to find a workable solution for all display sizes
that would make the display useful.  Not being able to easilly
locate dates or filesizes makes me wonder why I would even bother
to USE the "\d" switch?

The output of "System.Directory  ...\d" can be filtered
with RX.  This is good way to find files with a specific
date or range of dates.

Since RX was extended (Patrik R., Andre F. ?) to
allow operation in TUI it is very useful.  While on
the subject, let me ask this again.

Can anyone explain why the search has a scope
of one line of a text file rather than the whole
text?  This restriction prevents RX from making
changes extending beyond one line.  For
example, I believe it can not join every successive
pair of lines into a single line.  As far as I am
aware this is not an issue of the theory of regular
expressions.  It must be necessitated by an
algorithm.  Probably I should study the source
again but a little help would be fine.

Also, RX.ReplaceAll fails to work for me.  Can
anyone test?  Is it a bug?

Thanks,       Peter E.

Peter Lyall Easthope   http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/peter.html